During lockdown I’ve been watching some financial videos on how to save money and I got slapped with some reality. I am behind! And, I’m not talking 3 to 5 years…it’s more like 20 years behind. Wow!
This realization forced me to look back and ask, “what happened?” Well, to put it plainly, it was the combination of a few things:
- Lack of financial education – I may touch on this more in-depth in a separate post (I spoke with a lot of people about this and this is more widespread than I thought).
- I was given bad advice – but, I blame myself for taking it.
- Poor choices, resulting mainly from the bad advice – still, I blame myself for taking bad money advice.
Admittedly, I cried for a little while, “Why have I not saved money?” Then I picked up the pieces and made myself a promise to save. But, I’ve done that before. I realized that I needed to ask myself the question, “What am I saving for?”
So, from there, I laid out a few things called goals. They are simple:
- Emergency fund (luckily, I have this going already; but, it could be better)
- Pay down debt (I’m going to be on this one for a while)
- Investing (same as #2, I have started investing with Stash and Robinhood and have a Roth IRA setup)
- Buy a small house, maybe some property
- Share with others (I do give some each month, it’s not a whole lot; but, I want to eventually do more…there are people in far worse positions than me)
My goal for this site is to be as transparent as possible. My goal is to share my actual debt with you and to also share any progress on saving and investing and setbacks (yes, those too…I think that’s important).
I think sharing this publicly will instill more accountability – I’m not looking for shame, I’m kinda doing that already by myself. I would especially be grateful to hear from those of you in the same boat and what you’re doing to try to makeup for lost time (if there is such a thing), lost money, etc.
I created a Facebook group that I will post to, starting with my total debt and what I’ve been doing to bring this down. Feel free to join me in my endeavor to cut debt and save money!
I have a simple plan to for 2021:
- Direct deposit
- Update my budget
- Have a small percentage of my pay go straight to my IRA
- Put bills on auto pay
- Take my debit card out of my purse
These are all fairly simple, straight forward ideas that will put me in the right direction.
In the meantime, my goal for this site is to also share some of my favorite frugal ideas. I find a lot of ideas online that are simply amazing and I have my own ideas that I would like to share as well.
Don’t forget to stop by and join my Facebook group!